Diversity Distinguishes Us
At Sharq Law firm, diversity is not just a matter of compliance with the letter of the law or a statistic to be reported. We firmly believe that lack of diversity leads to loss of excellence. The diversity in our team members in terms of their nationalities, backgrounds, education, language and qualifications address our client requirements across an extensive sphere of industries, languages and cultures to better understand the needs of our domestic and international clients.
The firm is strengthened by our team of professionals which comprises of people with diverse and rich experience working as lawyers in local and international law firms, in house counsels, private practice, government and heads of legal departments of large corporations. Our vigorous, well-knitted organization is made up of lawyers from multiple civil and common law jurisdictions qualified to practice law in Qatar, the GCC, MENA Region as well as internationally.
Rashid Al Saad was previously General Counsel at Qatari Diar and Qatar Rail. His experience covers Construction, Hotels, Arbitration & Litigation, Transactions, Estate, Corporate as well as Project Finance.
He has been instrumental in drafting and negotiating agreements for some of the most sophisticated transactions in Qatar.
He has extensive knowledge and experience in major infrastructure projects, rail projects and large-scale commercial transactions, particularly cross-border transactions and ventures, outsourcings and Public Private Partnership (“PPP”) projects in the State of Qatar and abroad. He also specializes in real estate.
His major contributions are:
- led the legal team comprised of several law firms through the Baladna IPO,
- structured the Ministry of Finances bond issuance for USD 12 billion, and · Advised Hamad Medical Corporation on various cases.
- Designed the legal panel services for Qatar Rail.
- Qatar Investment Authority (QIA)-Transactions regarding transfer of several assets
- Qatar Property Management – Representing Client in an Arbitration matter at the ICC
- Qatar Railways – Advising Qatar Railways on setting up a Real Estate fund in Qatar Worked with Qatari Diar on global deals relating to the Chelsea Barracks transaction
- Advised Doha Bank
- Lead lawyer in the acquisition of business & assets by Qatar Investment Authority
- Led the team responsible for drafting the yellow FIDIC Contract for all contracting packaging of Qatar Rail projects
- Advisory Board member of Qatar Financial Centre
He specializes in complex transactions above QAR 100 million and is an expert at coordinating between high-level State and Executive leadership.
Abdelraouf has served as a judge of the Honorable Cassation on Court (Supreme Court) of Qatar for ten years. Appointed to judiciary in 1982, he was promoted on various occasions to prestigious posts including Judge of the Appellate Court and Vice-President of the Appellate Court. Abdelraouf heads and supervises our litigation and arbitration team.
For almost 30 years in Qatar, Mr. Elbekei occupied many judicial positions including Judge in the Appeals Court and Vice-President of the Appeals Court. He also served as judge in the Supreme Court for ten years. He has been a member of the Permanent Committee responsible for the legislative aﬀairs in Qatar since 2011.
His major contributions are:
- Legal Counsellor of a private group of ﬁrms (Almana Company) for four years.
- Has cognate experience in international arbitration and has held positions that vary from defence lawyer to arbitrator from 1994 to 1997.
- Worked at almost every level of the judicial system and has participated in establishing new legislation over a distinguished career that spans four decades.
- A certified arbitrator at CRCICA (Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration).
Before joining Sharq Law Firm, Al Mohannadi was Chief Operating Officer at TANWEEN – A SUBSIDIARY OF BARWA REAL ESTATE, Secondee as Chief Administration Officer, Qatar Project Management – Sister Company for TANWEEN, Head of HR & Administration at The First Investor (Strategic Real Estate Investment from May 2009 to July 2010), Legal Counselor-Legal and Compliance Department at The First Investor (Strategic from September 2007 to April 2010 Real Estate Investment), Secretary – Board Directors at The First Investor (Strategic Real Estate Investment from September 2007 to April 2010), Manager of Vice Minister Office & Legal Advisor–Under Secretary Office at Ministry of Justice.
His major contributions are:
- Issuing legal letters and other correspondences.
- Issuing and approving the legal contracts of the investment activities of the company.
- Reviewing and approving the investment activities presentation and other documentation (Private Placement Memoranda, Executive Summaries Profiles, contracts agreements and other documents).
- Overseeing the procedures in the company and taking care that the regulations are implemented.
- Cooperating with the Shariah committee in revising and approving agreements and contracts.
- Handling the legal procedures of the investment activities with the regulators.
- Performing as a member of Management committee.
- Performing as a member of the Management Investment Committee.
Fady Francis graduated from the Ain Shams University in Egypt in 2006 with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB). Prior to joining Sharq Law Firm, he worked as a legal oﬃcer at Barclays Bank and one of largest law ﬁrm located in Egypt as an associate.
Fady’s main responsibilities at Sharq Law Firm includes handling litigation ﬁles and various types of lawsuits (Commercial, labor, civil and criminal legal actions)
He is skilled in all types of legal actions specialized in civil & commercial. He also has various experiences in commercial and labor matter. He has handled all types of lawsuits and litigation cases including Corporate, SMEs, Retail, Taxation, employment, and cases ﬁled from and against government authorities. His expertise in drafting court memos, execution of judgments, legal Contracts and Agreements as well as providing various legal opinions regarding Commercial, Civil, Investment Companies and Labour legal issues in one of his strong attributes.
His major contributions are:
- Handling all types of legal actions ﬁled against Barclays bank’s retail delinquent customers (civil and criminal actions).
- Studied, handled and follow-up – alone – in cooperation of the Legal department at Barclays Bank during that period, many issues in various branches of law (commercial/ labor/ civil and criminal actions).
- Handling all types of lawsuits and litigation cases including (Corporate, SMEs,Retail,Taxation, employment and cases ﬁled from and against governmental authorities).
- Drafting various types of legal Contracts and Agreements to big transactions.
- Handling legal matters related to commercial registration oﬃces and the authentication oﬃces and dealing with governmental authorities.
- Handling the procedures of property transfer in the Notary Public.
- Draft various legal opinions regarding (Commercial, civil, Investment, companies and labor legal issues, etc.).
- Handling all the company establishment procedures in the company’s authorities and the General authority for Investment.
Mohamed Ali had a wide range of experience in banking and insurance laws, guaranties, ﬁnancial matters, complying with anti-money laundering regulations, FATCA, FATF Recommendations, Basle Committee as well as in various aspects of law.
He is highly skilled at drafting and reviewing agreements at various stages of litigation – in Civil, Commercial, Criminal, insurance, and Real Estate Laws. He also regularly advises The Central Bank of Tunisia on foreign investment matt and the entire public departments in Administrative law.
His experience covers:
- Head of Retail recovery and collection(Soft and Hard Collection/Litigation) at BANK ABC – TUNISIA (Arab Banking Corporation).
- Counselor of the Oﬃce of State Cases in Tunisia.
- Memo-seal of the Higher Judicial Institute in Tunis on the role of banks in combating money laundering – 2006.
Abdulla is a Senior Associate in Sharq Law Firms litigation team, who specializes in criminal and civil matters before the Qatari courts. He is currently undergoing the ﬁnal stages of his training to be a fully licenced advocate in the State of Qatar.
Prior to joining Sharq Law Firm, Abdulla served in the Ministry of Interior and obtained a law degree from the College of Law at Qatar University, as well as obtaining a Master’s in Public Law.
His major contributions are:
- Acted for both companies and individuals in cases before the civil courts in Qatar.
- Acted for individuals in criminal defense in the Qatari courts.
- Dealing with the Public Prosecutor for criminal matters and complaints.
- Acting for a bank in a QAR 40 million civil dispute against a private individual.
- Advising both companies and individuals in civil and criminal disputes
Sameh graduated from Tanta University of Law in year 2010
Worked as Attorney for Al Talaoum Company for clearing transactions for a year then moved to Nora Althani Law firm and worked there for 4 years.
Upon Joining Sharq law firm in 2018, he has managed to broaden his experience and knowledge in local court systems, legal agreements, resolutions, doing memorandums, pleadings and legal citations.
Having a relevant experience for 7 years, Sameh engaged in all kinds of lawsuits and litigation claims which develop his skills in drafting litigation memorandum, implementing judgments, and discussing experts
*Membership: Registered on accepted practicing attorneys’ list of Egypt in appeal court.
Aalaa is a law graduate at Cairo University in the year 2013 and a member of Bar Association in Cairo, Egypt. Her field specializes on criminal cases and cases related to the personal status law, inheritance and family cases.
She was a part of the Supreme Education Council in Qatar in 2016 before joining Sharq Law Firm in 2019 as a paralegal. During her time as a paralegal, her work covers all types of report, including audit reports, appointment coordination with clients, as well as all performing administrative tasks in relation to case files such preparing case memorandum and supporting with the legal defenses, in addition to providing legal opinions, various legal advice and updating clients, until the execution of judgments.
Upon having substantial experience in field of litigation and being able to handle matters on her own, she was promoted to an Associate position where she handles and deal with family, civil cases in addition to her banking and insurance cases.
Sara graduated from Qatar University and obtained a Bachelor of laws having majored in Qatari law. She subsequently went on to train with the General Retirement & Social Insurance Authority (GRSIA) where she played a pivotal role in the filling off lawsuits related to pensions and the securing of pension funds. Upon completing her successful tenure at the GRSIA she subsequently went on to take a leading legal role at the Al-Faisal Foundation and the Shafallah Centre for Persons with Disabilities.Until she finally joins Sharq Law Firm in the year 2019.[ p end=true]
Sarah regularly advises Governmental and major Qatari institutions on Civil, Commercial and Labour related matters. She has advised key Qatari household names on all matters pertaining to civil and commercial litigation and regularly attends the court directly representing clients in large legal claims
Her contribution involves the following:
- Advising the Qatari government in a claim worth over QAR 400 million on an administrative dispute matters
- Advising a leading Qatari Public Shareholding Company on a civil dispute worth in excess of QAR 250 million
- Attending the Qatari Civil and Commercial Courts in addition to the Labour Disputes Committee directly advocating on behalf of clients
- Conducting Administrative tasks at the courts including registering cases and filling appeals and petitions.
Upon Graduating from Sharia and Faculty Law in Cairo -Al-Azhar University in the year 2009, Ahmed started working on his as a trainee lawyer in the Court of Appeal, Khaled Mohamed Attia in the State Council as a member of the Afro-Asian Lawyers Law in Cairo for 4 years.
Upon joining Sharq Law Firm in year 2017, he has been assigned to all execution cases related to the firm’s clients from following up, issuing statement of claims, legal memorandums until compelling opponents in obtaining the rights of the clients as soon as possible.
His major contributions are:
- Dealing with several types of lawsuits, especially in bank cases, and possessing the skill of drafting case memoranda and filing legal defenses to all court stages and specialized in judgment execution and contract drafting.
- Provide different legal opinions and advice on commercial and civil legal matters, as well as in other areas of law.
- Working on all civil and labor cases of Commercial Bank Qatar.
Rayan is a multilingual qualiﬁed lawyer and member of the Beirut Bar Association since 2015. He advises multinational and local companies in connection of corporate and commercial matters.
Rayan is highly experienced in contentious and non-contentious Intellectual Property matters, as well as assisting clients in dispute resolutions in different practice areas such Civil Law, Employment Law, cyber-security law, and criminal law. He also has wide experience in comparative law. He has always been involved also in leading corporate structuring, complex mergers and acquisitions and cross-border transactions.
Upon joining Sharq Law Firm, Rayan has worked in the corporate department and gained skills from draft g and reviewing agreements. And his practice focuses on counseling as well as handling complex corporate and commercial matters in various industries such as sports law, insurance, technology, Intellectual Property, and Labour law.
His major contributions are:
- Operated in diﬀerent jurisdictions through providing counsel on transactional, pre-contentious and contentious matters.
- Assisted key multinational companies such as Total S.A.L, Allianz-SNA S.A.L, and Abela Frères S.A.L and drafted settlement and partnership agreements.
- Secured Trademarks and Patents for a number of key multinational brands such as Crunchy Flakes, India Gates, Persil, etc.
- Represented the exclusive distributor of Bein Sports in Lebanon before the Courts and ﬁled multiple criminal lawsuits protecting the client from piracy and infringements of intellectual property rights and successfully closed down illegal distributors of Bein Sports channels.
- Drafting and reviewing the legislation of FIFA related to the World Cup 2022 in the State of Qatar.
- Drafting and reviewing a Software Agreement for the principal public healthcare provider in the State of Qatar.
- Drafting, reviewing and advising on shareholders agreements.
- Drafted distribution agreements for key multinational pharmaceutical corporations such as Novartis and Sanoﬁ Aventis.
Marwa advises international and local companies on corporate, regulatory and commercial matters as well as assisting clients in commercial and civil disputes.
Since joining Sharq Law Firm in 2017, Marwa has worked in the commercial, litigation and arbitration departments where she gained experience in various aspects of the law and gained skills from drafting and reviewing agreements to representing clients in the various stages of litigation.
In addition to her experience in commercial matters, she has experience in dealing and advising on capital market (including QFMA and QE regulations), governance of various forms of companies and has extensive experience in labour and civil laws.
Her major contributions are:
- Drafting and Reviewing a Facility Agreement as per the Islamic finance (Murabaha Agreement)
- Advised the State of Qatar acting through the Ministry of Finance on the issuance of bonds including reviewing and drafting prospectus, a Due Diligence and transactional documents on USD 12 billion international bond issuance in 2019 across five jurisdictions;
- Established a Public Shareholding Company owned by QP (QAMCO) including advising on the structure, review of prospectus and drafting the establishment documents (Capital of QAR 1 billion
- Restructured a Canadian college, drafted, and advised on the constitutional documents and agreements between the Canadian University and the Government of Qatar (see non-publishable matter )
- Conducted Due Diligence report for Deliveroo prospectus; Advised on Qatar Pharma & Baladna IPO
- Conducted a due diligence report for Qatar Investment Authority on a transfer of assets valued at QAR 6.7 Billion.
- Representing Energy City against Qatari Diar in the Qatari Courts in a claim of QAR 94mn
- Representing Black Cat in the Qatari Courts in a claim of QAR 100mn
- Representing a construction/contracting company in a litigation case with a claim amount of QAR 1.17bn.
Abubakar is an Associate in the Corporate Department at Sharq Law Firm working closely with several governmental institutions and major companies in the Energy, Technology and Infrastructure sectors.
Although primarily based in the Corporate Department, Abubakar works very closely with the Arbitration, Litigation and Banking & Finance Departments and has gained extensive experience in Corporate Governance, drafting Due Diligence reports, drafting financial agreements and directly partaking in negotiations with opposing counsel.
He has been instrumental in developing and expanding the outreach of the Corporate Department and has heavily participated in Business Development, thus expanding the Department’s presence within the local Qatari market. Prior to joining Sharq, Abubakar gained a Master’s degree and a LPC in the United Kingdom.
His major contributions are:
- Advised on the restructuring of a leading secondary school from sole ownership to a family-owned business worth in excess of QAR 30,000,000.
- Advised the Commercial Bank S.Q.C on Qatari law relating to the issuance of bonds by a SPV owned by a Qatari Holding company.
- Drafted an Investment Agreement for the importation of 10 Million N95 respirators into the State of Qatar in light of COVID-19 to be supplied to several health care providers in the State of Qatar.
- Advised on the sale of a 5 Star International Hotel in Doha worth over QAR 70,000,000.
- Advised on Uber’s acquisition of Careem.
- Drafted an extensive Due Diligence report on the feasibility of solar projects within the State of Qatar for the Qatar Ministry of Energy and Kahramaa.
- Advised the Communications Regulatory Authority on the enactment of a new Postal law identifying key stakeholders, the roles of such stakeholders and any liabilities arising therein.
- Drafted a Strategic Corporation Agreement for Al Rabban Oil & Gas commercialising a new method which better extracts heavy oil with a value of QAR 45million.
Daher graduated from Damascus University in 2013 from the College of Law. Shortly after graduation, he commenced employment at Hussain Alnader Law Firm in Damascus where he was successfully called to the Bar as a lawyer.
Daher commenced his training for a year before relocating to Qatar in late 2016 where he worked in West Gulf Group and then subsequently in the legal department at Al Faisal Holding. As of recent Daher has joined Sharq Law Firm where he has gained substantial experiences in matters relating to corporate and commercial works such as establishing companies, drafting articles of association, drafting sales contracts, reviewing leases as well as liaising directly with the Ministries and the courts where he attends hearings as a representative of Sharq Law Firm.
Josias is an attorney in Sharq Law Firm’s Construction and Arbitration team. Since joining Sharq Law Firm years ago from the United Kingdom, Josias has established a formidable reputation in the construction and arbitration field in Doha.
Josias advises medium to large contractors and developers based in the Middle East, in both contentious and non-contentious matters. He is most active in international arbitration, acting for clients before the ICC, DIFC, QICCA, amongst other forums. He also advises clients on the main forms of construction contracts, including the FIDIC suite, NEC, JCT as well as bespoke and governmental forms of contract.
His main contribution are:
- Representing the Claimant, a major Qatari contractor, in an ICC arbitration seated in Qatar before a panel of three arbitrators. The dispute is in relation to a high-profile infrastructure project in Doha. The dispute value, to date, is circa QAR 500 million.
- Acting for a major real-estate company based in Doha in a QICCA arbitration surrounding the development of a landmark commercial district in Doha. The dispute value to date is circa QAR 69 million.
- Acting for an international contractor in a mediation relating to the construction of a sports arena.
- Advised a client and acted in negotiations in relation to a major proposed settlement for a construction matter with a value of over USD 350 million.
- Acted for and advised a major developer on the construction of a large compound on a Build Operate and Transfer basis. The overall transaction value is circa USD $400 million.
- Regularly advising a listed real estate company on construction claims, construction contracts and dispute avoidance.
- An author for various industry publications including Lexology, Real Estate Law Reviews, Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
- Advising clients on the preparation of all forms of the main construction contracts, including the FIDIC suite, NEC, JCT as well as bespoke and governmental forms of contract.
James is a Barrister (non-practicing) in England and Wales, who is part of the Construction and Arbitration team at Sharq Law Firm. Prior to joining Sharq Law Firm, James was the Senior Legal Counsel at Astad, the leading Project Management/Construction Management Consultancy in Qatar. Prior to joining Astad, James has signiﬁcant Construction Law, Contracts and Dispute Resolution experience across signiﬁcant projects in the United Kingdom including Crossrail, Europe’s largest ongoing railway project, Construction Claims and Dispute Resolution experience in the United Kingdom, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Singapore and Oil & Gas EPC experience in Malaysia and Hong Kong.
Over 20 years of strong Construction Law and Contracts Administration experience (Tendering Process; Architect’s Contracts, Building Contracts, Project Planning and Project Management) includes in a long career examples as follows:
- CROSSRAIL Woolwich Arsenal Station – Project Value USD106m/GBP 75m Commercial Design Management
- Claims experience includes: El Seif-Hitachi JV Jeddah Station for Harmain High-Speed Rail (FIDIC) – Project Value USD90m/GBP 73m
- Draft and submit EOT Claim arising from Main Contractor culpable delays.
- Draft and submit Delay & Disruption Claim against Main Contract;
- Assessing Quantum entitlement and Prolongations Costs;
- Dispute Avoidance & Contracts Risk Management
- Oil & Gas & Renewable Energy Construction & Procurement Contracts
- SBI China Capital Hong Kong – Oil & Gas Procurement contracts: USD300m EPCC Heads of Agreement for Cambodian oilﬁeld investments (HK-listed Mirach Energy)
Join Our Legal Team
At Sharq Law Firm we are always looking for new associates to join our team and broaden our network of legal experts.
- Legal Assistant
- Legal Project Manager
- Research Associate, Law