Dr. Bashir Saad Zaghloul
Dr. Bashir is the Senior Counsel at Sharq Law Firm. Having achieved a doctoral research degree (PhD) in Criminal Law from France, Dr. Bashir has led an impressive career in criminal law. His academic experience (as a Professor of Criminal Law in the Faculty of Law at the Cairo University, the Director of the Center for Combating Crime and the Treatment of Criminals at the Cairo University, an Arbitrator in the Permanent Academic Committee for the Specialization in Criminal Law for the Promotion of Professors in Egyptian and Arab Universities, and a member of the Editorial Board and the Academic Committee in the Faculty of Law at Chadli Bendjedid University) provides Sharq Law Firm with extensive legal experience and distinctive knowledge of criminal law. Prior to joining Sharq, he held several esteemed academic positions; a Professor of Criminal Law at the College of Law – Qatar University from 2008 to 2021, an Adjunct Professor at the Institute of Criminal Studies – Public Prosecution – State of Qatar, an Adjunct Professor at the Center for Legal and Judicial Studies – Ministry of Justice – Qatar, an Adjunct Professor at Ahmed bin Mohammed Military College – Qatar, and an Adjunct Professor at the Police College – Qatar. His professional experience as a lawyer before the Egyptian Court of Cassation, as well as being a member of the disciplinary board for members of the Research Authority in the Egyptian Medicines Authority, and an investigator in the President’s Office of Cairo University in disciplinary violations attributed to faculty members at the university provided him with extensive practical experience in handling investigation and judgment files.
- – Published several studies in peer-reviewed scientific journals; most notably: The Principle of Two-Tiered Litigation and its Role in Consolidating Justice and Achieving Equality Before Criminal Justice – Applying the Principle Before Criminal Courts in French and Qatari Law, Criminal Protection Guarantees for the Legal Profession – A Critical Analytical Study – Journal of Law and Economics – Faculty of Law, Cairo University, and The Application with Immediate Effect to the Rules of Organization and Jurisdiction of the Criminal Justice System (research published in the Journal of Sharia and Law – United Arab Emirates). University.
- – Contributed to legal literature by authoring several books; most recently: Criminology and Punishment (co-author) –Publications of the College of Law – Qatar University, 2019, Criminal Protection Guarantees for the Legal Profession – A Critical Analytical Study – Arab Renaissance House – Cairo, 2017, and The Abolition of Procedural Parliamentary Immunity Between Reality and Hope – A Comparative Study from the Perspective of Establishing Criminal Justice – Arab Renaissance House – Cairo, 2017.
- – Regularly lectures several academic establishments, and was most recently; a lecturer in the first foundation course for Public Prosecution Assistants, Institute of Criminal Studies – Public Prosecution – State of Qatar, from January 1 to June 30, 2019, a lecturer in the training course for the judicial police officers at the Ministry of Interior on practical applications regarding the procedures of seizure and investigation in the criminal law of the State of Qatar, Ministry of Interior, April 24-26, 2016, and lecturer in the training course for new judicial police officers at the Public Works Authority “Ashghal”, on the topic of “Judicial Seizures and Crimes Stipulated in Law No. 14 of 2015 Regulating Works Within the Roadside”, organized by the Rule of Law and Anti-Corruption Center of the Qatar Public Prosecution, Doha November 4, 2015.
- – Participated in several press articles and features; most recently, he participated in a journalistic investigation regarding the Qatari law on combating cybercrime and the importance of its awareness and dissemination in the legal culture of school and university students, published in Al-Raya newspaper, on February 16, 2016, a press article on the independence of the judiciary and the public prosecution in the State of Qatar, published in the Qatari newspaper Al-Arab, on March 5, 2012, a press article on the idea of deterrence as one of the purposes of criminal punishment, published in the police magazine “With You” issued by the Ministry of Interior in the State of Qatar, Issue 104, February 2012, and a press article on the topic of “Fraud and Electronic Begging”, published in Al-Raya newspaper – September 28, 2011.
- – Addressed the issue of human organ transplantation in Qatari law through a journalistic investigation that reviewed the Qatari law’s regulation of the process of human organ donation and the limitations that ensure the combat and prevention of human organ trafficking – published in the Qatari newspaper Al-Arab – Incident Supplement – Issue 7783 – October 3, 2009.
- – Provided a social legal opinion in an investigative journalism regarding the limitations of opening criminal files for screenwriters – in regard to turning them into television series – with the aim of raising community awareness against the dangers of crime and its negative consequences – Al Arab Qatari newspaper – Incident Supplement – Issue 7921 – February 20, 2010
- – Regularly leads and participates in several academic and professional seminars; spoke and represented the College of Law at Qatar University in the consultative meeting on “Legal Problems Related to Gender Identity Disorders”, organized by the Behavioral Health Support Center, February 24, 2019, attended sessions of the conference “Law in Keeping pace with Tourism Activity: Its Determinants and Prospects”, organized by the College of Law at Qatar University in cooperation with the National Tourism Council of the State of Qatar, February 4-5, 2019, and participated in a seminar for students of the College of Law at Qatar University entitled “Crimes Committed through Social Media in the Light of Qatari Legislation”, organized by the Professional Services Center at Qatar University, October 11, 2018.