Josias de Salles
Josias is an attorney in Sharq Law Firm’s Construction and Arbitration team. Since joining Sharq Law Firm years ago from the United Kingdom, Josias has established a formidable reputation in the construction and arbitration field in Doha.
Josias advises medium to large contractors and developers based in the Middle East, in both contentious and non-contentious matters. He is most active in international arbitration, acting for clients before the ICC, DIFC, QICCA, amongst other forums. He also advises clients on the main forms of construction contracts, including the FIDIC suite, NEC, JCT as well as bespoke and governmental forms of contract.
His main contribution are:
- Representing the Claimant, a major Qatari contractor, in an ICC arbitration seated in Qatar before a panel of three arbitrators. The dispute is in relation to a high-profile infrastructure project in Doha. The dispute value, to date, is circa QAR 500 million.
- Acting for a major real-estate company based in Doha in a QICCA arbitration surrounding the development of a landmark commercial district in Doha. The dispute value to date is circa QAR 69 million.
- Acting for an international contractor in a mediation relating to the construction of a sports arena.
- Advised a client and acted in negotiations in relation to a major proposed settlement for a construction matter with a value of over USD 350 million.
- Acted for and advised a major developer on the construction of a large compound on a Build Operate and Transfer basis. The overall transaction value is circa USD $400 million.
- Regularly advising a listed real estate company on construction claims, construction contracts and dispute avoidance.
- An author for various industry publications including Lexology, Real Estate Law Reviews, Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
- Advising clients on the preparation of all forms of the main construction contracts, including the FIDIC suite, NEC, JCT as well as bespoke and governmental forms of contract.