Josias de Salles
Mr. de Salles is an attorney in Sharq Law Firm’s Construction and Arbitration team. Since joining Sharq Law Firm from the United Kingdom, Josias has established a strong reputation in the construction and arbitration field in Doha and is a highly sought after attorney,.
Mr. de Salles advises medium to large contractors and developers based in the Middle East, in both contentious and non-contentious matters. He is most active in international arbitration, acting for clients before the ICC, QICCA, amongst other forums. He also advises clients on the main forms of construction contracts, including the FIDIC suite, NEC, JCT as well as bespoke and governmental forms of contract.
- – Representing the Claimant, a major Qatari contractor, in an ICC arbitration seated in Qatar before a panel of three arbitrators. The dispute is in relation to a high-profile infrastructure project in Doha. The dispute value, to date, is circa QAR 500 million.
- – Successfully represented the Claimant in an ICC Arbitration seated in Doha, before a panel of three arbitrators concerning a landmark infrastructure project. The client successfully recovered 100% of its claim value and was awarded costs.
- – Acted for a major real-estate company based in Doha in a QICCA arbitration surrounding the development of a landmark commercial district in Doha. The dispute was in excess of QAR 60 million and was ultimately, successfully settled in favor of the client.
- – Representing a large developer in a dispute before the QICCA surrounding the provision of facilities management services. The claim value is circa QAR 600,000,000
- – Advised a client and acted in negotiations in relation to a major proposed settlement for a construction matter with a value of over USD 350 million.
- – Representing the Claimant(s), two real estate developers, in two QICCA arbitrations concerning delays to a major real estate development in Qatar. The dispute value is circa QAR 800 million.
- – Successfully represented the Claimant in two simultaneous QICCA Arbitrations concerning the supply of manpower, where the Claimant recovered 100% of the claim value and costs.
- – Assisting colleagues in a dispute before the Qatari court of appeal regarding the construction of residential high-rise buildings in Qatar. The dispute value is over QAR 1 billion.
- – Acted for and advised a major developer on the construction of a large compound on a Build Operate and Transfer basis. The overall transaction value is circa USD $400 million.
- – Regularly advising a listed real estate company on construction claims, construction contracts and dispute avoidance.
- – Advised a government entity on the handling of EOT claims in light of COVID-19.
- – An author for various industry publications including Lexology, Real Estate Law Reviews, Lexology Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
- – Advised a major developer on the installation of a large telecommunications network.
- – Advising clients on the preparation of all forms of the main construction contracts, including the FIDIC suite, NEC, JCT as well as bespoke and governmental forms of contract.